Monday, May 4, 2009

The Beginning . . . Part 2 --> THE CALL!

We were told when we were added to the Ethiopia list that it would be a six to eight month wait. We were open to a child of either gender up to 24 months. Starting the process over seemed unbearable. I couldn't believe that we were at the bottom of the list, especially since we had been in the actual adoption process since 2006.

Then came March 3rd at 12:00. We received the phone call that would change our lives forever. I teach third grade and we had just gotten back from lunch. I am really good about turning the ringer off my cell phone. However, I had forgotten to turn the ringer off on this particular Tuesday. So, I'm sitting at the front of my class, reading a story aloud to my students when my cell phone went off. I jumped up, apologizing to my students for not turning my phone off. I picked it up to turn it off when I saw that it was CHI.

I had a million things running through my head at this point. When I answered it was our case worker Toni. She said that she had my husband on hold and asked me if I had a minute to talk. I knew that this was it. . . the moment that we had been waiting for for 2 1/2 years. It seemed as though that moment was frozen in time. I could not believe what I was hearing on the other line. After Toni connected Alex and I on the same line, the first thing she said was "Today is the day." The first thing I said was, "Are you serious?" I was in such shock, I could not move. I had twenty third graders staring at me, wondering what was going on. Up until this point, I had not shared the adoption with them.

To say the least, the rest of the afternoon was filled with a lot of excitement. I called my mom, my dad, my mother in law, my best friend, and texted many others. I practically ran up and down the halls jumping up and down with joy.

March 3rd will forever be the day that our lives changed! I stared at my sweet boy's face so long!

2 comments:

  1. So glad to have your blog! Keep updating it because I love to read when I have the chance!!! Tomorrow is your big court day...can't wait to hear the good news!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Becky - We were also with the CHI Vietnam progrsm and changed to Ethiopia last summer. With the local offices closing last fall, we didn't get our completed homestudy update until December. We finally got on the official waiting list a couple weeks ago and should be about #95 for a girl or boy up to 18 months.

    ReplyDelete